Monday, April 28, 2014

Last Week of the Transfer 4/28/2014

Heya Family,

This week was a pretty good week, we taught the most lessons we have ever taught and one family we are teaching got out to church. I hope they enjoyed it! It was a great day at church. One of the speakers in Sacrament talked a little bit about Elder Hollands talk from this last conference (btw thanks for sending it to me :D ) but anyway I think I am starting to learn more about having courage and doing whats right even when it is hard. I still have plenty more learning to do though. In Gospel Principles the lesson was on the priesthood. We usually have it in the baptismal room, but another ward had a meeting in there yesterday so we had in on the stage. We were a few minutes late and I  made my way through the curtain from the gym onto the stage only to realize I was right in the front of the class with the teacher haha, everyone got a good kick out of it :). One person there talked about some very powerful experiences she had with the priesthood. A long time ago she had been diagnosed with cancer and fought it for 7 years going through all the treatments, and one day as she was in the hospital they told her she would have to go into emergency surgery again. She told them she didn't want to until she had a priesthood blessing, but they told her that they needed to do the surgery urgently. She tried to contact her husband for a blessing but couldn't get a hold on them. And then two missionaries walked by and gave her a blessing. After that, she made a great recovery. The Priesthood is the power of God given to man to act for the salvation of God's children, and at this time, it truly blessed her life. An in Elders Quorum we read the talk given two conferences again by Gerald Causse, about how no one in a stranger in the church. It would be amazing if wards really could be that fellowshipping. Sometimes we get caught on which bench is ours and feel the need to stay there. But I am sure that so many missionaries when they finally get someone to come to church are hoping and praying that someone will walk up and friendship them or merely introduce themselves to them. It is what the Savior would want. Someone in Elder's Quorum also a made the comment about the scripture:

"34 Then shall the King say unto them on his aright hand, Come, ye bblessed of my Father, cinherit the dkingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

 35 For I was an ahungred, and ye bgave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a cstranger, and ye took me in:

 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye avisited me: I was in bprison, and ye came unto me.

 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

 39 Or when saw we thee asick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have adone it unto one of the bleast of these my cbrethren, ye have done it unto me."

It is amazing to wonder that when we see those people that need us, we are doing it unto the Lord. The man in Elders Quorum said that if we saw Christ on the street of course we would go and help him, but others we don't. But truly when we help others, we have done it unto Christ."

I wanted to talk about some of my studies as well. One is in Luke 12:7:

6 Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?

 7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

The hairs of our heads are numbered. God doesn't forget about us. This scripture just makes me think about how the Lord says, "Every soul is great in the eyes of God." All the people we meet everyday no matter how unkind they may be are brothers and sisters, and God cares about them just as much as he does you and I. Sometimes I try to remind myself that when my pride gets inflated and my ego goes up and I turn inward and think only of myself. In my studies I thought of this scripture:

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

You have to lose your life to find it. If you want your life to change and if you want your nature to change, than lose your life in the service of God and of others. I have been trying to do that a little more. 

Another scripture that was awesome that was talked about a lot in this past zone conference was:

28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

 29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

 30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was aafraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

 31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

This is when the apostle were out in the ship and they saw Christ walking on the water towards them. (That reminds me, I saw a funny bumper sticker that said "If you feel like you are perfect, then try and walk on water." Haha it is true) The Lord bids him to come out on the water. A couple important things happen here. Peter has the faith (trust in God) to step out of the boat. This in and of itself is a miracle! And he continues to walk on water, another miracle because of Peters faith. All this time he was focus on Christ, but then as he looks around and takes his eyes of Christ he sees the "wind bosterous" and begins to fear and doubt, which causes him to start to sink. And as he cries out for help the Lord is there to help him back up, to save him from drowning. Miracles can happen when we have faith. And when we truly have faith we are focused on Christ. And then miracles happen in our own lives. We step out of the boat in a sense and start walking on water, or God helps us do things that there is no way we could do without him. But then, at least in my own life I see the trials and tribulations and the storms of life all around me and look away from Christand I doubt. But every time I do lose faith and doubt, God is right there willing to help me back up and not let me sink. If we can just trust Him, then we don't have to worry if the wind is boisterous or anything else that happens. I think that is why he said these words in D&C 122:

 4 And although their influence shall cast thee into trouble, and into bars and walls, thou shalt be had in ahonor; and but for a smallbmoment and thy voice shall be more terrible in the midst of thine enemies than the fierce clion, because of thy righteousness; and thy God shall stand by thee forever and ever.

 5 If thou art called to pass through atribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in bperils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

 6 If thou art aaccused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to bprison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like cwolves for the blood of the lamb;

 7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the apit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the bdeep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to chedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of dhell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give theeeexperience, and shall be for thy good.

 8 The aSon of Man hath bdescended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

 9 Therefore, ahold on thy way, and the priesthood shall bremainwith thee; for their cbounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy ddaysare known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore,efear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

If we can just trust God, then all the trials and hardships we are called to pass through will be for our good. If we can learn to always keep our eyes on Him and not lose faith then Christ will see us through. We just need to learn to trust Him through the hard times. I need to learn to trust Him no matter what. 

Anyway, I am running out of time but I love you all a lot and I hope that some of these words will help you guys through this next week. :) Thanks for all you do for me! Have a great week!!

Elder Scott Krstyen

No comments:

Post a Comment