Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter!!!! 4/21/2014

It sounds like you guys all had a pretty good easter! Mine was pretty good as well. :) Thanks for all the cards and packages! I hope you guys watched peter cottontail and then looked for all the places where the easter bunny could had the baskets. Sunday morning I got up and started looking all over my apartment for mine. After about 30 mins, Elder Short had to finally break the news about the easter bunny to me :/..... haha. But really Easter started out slow but ended up being pretty good. 

This week we had zone conference on tues over in kirtland! We were there for almost 8 hours but it was probably one of the best zone conferences I have ever been to. Our mission president had just gotten back from a big meeting with Elder Bednar and he had a lot of amazing things to teach. There was various things taught about but the main things that I got out of it was about faith. He talked about faith looking backward, future, and present. We have faith for the future knowing that there is a loving god that cares about us and if we do our best he is watching over us no matter what happens. We can look back and see the times that we exercised our faith and did something and how the Lord blessed us because of it. (He talked about keeping a miracle book to write all those experiences down) So when we have faith to press forward in the future and when we can see and remember all the times we exercised our faith and we say the hand of the lord, it gives us the strength and trust to exercise our faith in the present and do the things the Lord asks. He made an interesting observation that struck me. He talked about if missionaries are just hanging out at members houses not working at all for hours, then maybe they are doing that because truly inside they lack faith, or they let their faith lie dormant. If I truly trust in a loving perfect God, who knows so much better than I do what I need, then I should be able to know that when he asks me to read or pray or keep any commandment there is a reason for it that I might be able to see just then. If I have geniune faith, I should exercise it and be able to do these things. 

On wednesday we met with an awesome navajo family! (It makes my day whenever I see shima's cause they are the nicest old people ever!) but anyway, we were teaching lessons 3 which is the gospel of jesus christ. We taught faith and repentance and then ended up watching a mormon message "The Savior Wants to Forgive" it is a great one if you haven't seen it. We also pulled weeds this week for an awesome younger couple here. Sometimes I think of all the respnsibility that comes after the mission and it is worrisome, college job family etc, but families like that just I guess build my faith in God that he will help us through whatever we need to do even if I have no experience doing it. 

Saturday was an awesome day as well. We had one of the zone leaders Elder Waldo come to our area. We worked hard and handed out a few book of mormons and had some good lessons. There was awesome a baptism for 5th ward that we went to that was an awesome experience. Sometimes when I see baptisms it just seems so simple to me. I might think, is this really that powerful? It is so simple, so is this truly what helps us get into the Kingdom of Heaven? I believe it is. I am not going to say I know, but I believe. In 1st Nephi 17:41 it talks about the Children of Israel who got bit by all the serpents, and how moses held up a brass serpent to them and it says this about it, "  41 And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they ahardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying bserpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be chealed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the dsimpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished. " They thought it was too simple a way to be healed so they didn't look! They hardened their hearts and wouldn't. I think many a times I have hardened my heart to simple things that would have helped. Anyway as we were trying to meet new people and trying some potentials that we had we came across two middle aged women working on their yard. We asked if we could help them and then also asked them if they had ever talked to the missionaires before. One of them started saying how she used to be lds but became baptist and said she took classes on the Lds church and she didn't believe what we believed.. (Ok side note, so I kinda learned on my mission that I have a slight temper depending on the day so I know I should be a lot kinder, and everything she had said up to that point was fine) but then she went on to say that we only believe the Jesus Christ was a great prophet......... and the other lady brought out becoming Gods and creating our owns planets and all that good stuff. I held my tongue because that day I was about ready to pull out my bible and lay it down (we have gotten that before and that is all fine, it was just the way they said it ha) , and Luckily Elder Short and Elder Waldo handled it very kindly and explained what we believe. I need to be more Christlike I know, haha I still have a lot to work on :) ) But anyway of course we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. We believe He is the Savior, the only perfect person to walk on this Earth. We believe He atoned for the sins of all people, and also all their sicknesses, pains, and hardships in this life. He knows exactly how we feel. Because He rose again and performed the Atonement, there is hope for all of us. And now the God part. We believe Gods plan for us, our Heavenly Father's plan for us is for us to become like Him. Just like Dad wants us to have all he has and probably even more, our Heavenly Father wants the best for us and that is why we came to Earth. As for the "planets" that is nowhere in our doctrine, but people can speculate all they want. I don't know what all God wants for each of us, but I am sure we can't even begin to understand all he wants for us anyway. I just believe what it says in the bible, in Romans 8:17 17 And if children, then heirs; aheirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we bsuffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. 
I don't know all what it means to be joint heirs with Christ, but I believe that God has great blessing awaiting the faithful. Anyway, enough for my venting session. 

On Easter we able to get Matt and his daughter out to Church. They are an awesome family. They had talks on the Ressurrection, which were really good. We had a nice Easter dinner at the Dollars and they also gave us a nice Easter Bag full of good treats. We went to the hospital and gave a blessing to one of our investigators and also as we drove around at night before we were about to go in Sunday night, and decided to go visit an older man in the ward. We told him happy easter to which he told us to stay right there and then left and came back and told us his wife wanted a blessing. She had just gotten out of the hospital after being in 55 days. I think they definitely appreciated the visit and the blessing. Bro Wood kept on saying how it was just amazing that we had felt to come here. He was so surprised that we had just shown up. I believe the Lord had a hand in that. Other people might say that that was only a coincidence. To that I say, there can only be so many coincidences before you realize what truly is happening. 

Anyway, I love you guys and hope you have a stellar week!!! Let me know how is goes. Love ya!
Elders from the 4th ward!

No comments:

Post a Comment