Monday, May 20, 2013

Car Show! 5/20/2013

This week has been a pretty good week. We were able to meet with a lot of people that it has been harder to meet with. They had a car show down here in Pagosa! I only saw it as we drove by but Dad definitely would have enjoyed it. This week someone took us out to eat sea food! It was super nice of them. I really didn't think i would be getting a nice seafood dinner here in Pagosa. Elder Blakely is doing well, and I am glad to be with him. We found a couple new investigators this week as well, that was pretty exciting for us since it is hard for us to get lessons here.
Well it was great being able to speak to you on Mothers day. I hope everyone is doing well.
I have been studying a lot out of the Book of Mormon, Jesus The Christ, and The New Testament. I am almost finished with St. Luke. I really enjoy reading in the New Testament. I am thankful for the Scriptures. One scripture I read today really touched me. I think (don't take my word for it) that it is in Luke chapter 18. It is the story that Jesus tells of the two men standing in the temple. One is a Pharisee and one is a publican. The Pharisee prays very pridefully. Basically saying thank you for not making me as those sinners. Then "afar off" the publican prays humbly, not even daring to lift his eyes up to heaven, smoting his hand to his chest and says, "God have mercy on me a sinner." I find that story so powerful. That humility is something we all need to find and adapt. Because like it says in the scriptures following that, "He that exalts himself shall be abased, but he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." How much more powerful and faithful will our prayers be if we humble ourselves beofre God, and even how much more powerful will our prayers be if we humble ourselves without being compelled to be humble. (Alma 32)
There is one particular talk I want to talk about. It is called "The Character of Christ" by David Bednar. It was a talk that he gave in the mtc but he also gave basically the same talk up at byu idaho so I was able to get a copy of it. I encourage all of you to read it. I won't try to explain all of it, but I'll just touch on some simple parts about it. The biggest part about it is that the character of Christ is this: that in times of hardship and affliction when most people would have turned inward and felt bad for themselves, Jesus Christ turned outward and cared for others even when his trials and afflictions were many times worse. Elder Bednar talks about Jesus Christ when he fasted for 40 days and then the devil came and tempted him, and how Jesus Christ was able to resist those things. After this whole situation of trial and affliction, in the bible it says that angels came and ministered to Jesus Christ. No doubt the comfort from angels in such a time of affliction would have been comforting to the Savior, but the Jospeh Smith translation teaches a whole lot more about the character of Christ in this situation. The Joseph Smith translation says something along these lines, "That Jesus knew that John was cast into prison and so He sent angels to minister unto John." Even in this time of great affliction for the Savior he turned outward and cared for John right after this great affliction. You all should really read this talk. It has taught me a lot more about the character of Christ. About how He turned outward instead of inward and about how we should try to do the same as we go throughout our lives.
Well family! I love you. I hope things are going great back there in the SLC.
Love, Elder Scott Krstyen

No comments:

Post a Comment