Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week 2 In The Field! 2/18/2013


Hey Family!!
 
How have things been? Things are going pretty well down in Pagosa Springs! This week was pretty great, not that it didn't have its ups and downs but good things definitely happened. Elder Soper is a gospel stud and I'm thankful to be with him. Niether of us are perfect but we are definitely trying, and we may be simple but by "small and simple means the Lord brings to pass great things" Alma 37:6. This past week was pretty interesting. On p days basically we go play basketball with some of the other elders which is awesome. I love basketball more now than I ever have. 
 
The people here are amazing. They are kind and they have their struggles but they are truly amazing people. Let me share how yesterday was one of the greatest days so far. Saturday night Elder Soper and I decided to stop and get shakes. It was weird because both of us had that same thought at the same time and I said jokingly, "hmmm it must have been the spirit." We went to sonic and were waiting in the drive through when all of the sudden a cop call pulled up beside us. I rolled down my window. We were a little confused at what was going on. He basically didn't say to much he just gave us his card and told us to call his cell phone number on sunday when we weren't busy. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when we called because we weren't sure why he wanted us to. So we went home a little suprised at what happened and finished up preparing for our talks that we gave yesterday. Sunday morning came and we went to ward council before church which went well, and then we gave our talks at sacrament at 9. We also blessed the sacrament because the ward is smaller. The talks went well, we both shared sincere testimony of what we knew and sat down. I definitely felt the Spirit, though I was still a bit nervous to give it. One of the members, his name is Brother Lane (he is a way good boxer his uncle boxed ali or something that like), brought a family to church that really wants to know more about the Church so we will be teaching them this week. Another man walked up to us and asked us if we would give his family the lessons (he's already a member but he wasn't too active before). Another sister walked up and invited us to come to her house sometime because she wanted us to talk to her husband about the gospel. We visited three other people after church who we had been trying to visit all week and were able to talk to them and set appointments. These things were all small and simple miracles that happened yesterday. But the most awesome one of all of them was when we call the police officer back. We found of that he was a less active man who hadn't been to church for a long time. I was soooooo nervous to call him, but I did and he expressed a desire to take the lessons again because "he had been avoiding church and felt that it was time to come back"!!! Elder Soper and I were so excited!!! Haha the Lord works in interesting ways: shakes at Sonic? If we hadn't have been there, who knows if he would have ever contacted us. Needless to say, yesterday was just one amazing day. This past week has been hard, our numbers weren't as good and we weren't as successful, but yesterday we was a great day. We are definitely hoping that this next week will be awesome!! 
A less active man in the ward had a stroke and they called us and asked us to give him a blessing. I felt the spirit so strong while we were in the hospital. He expressed to us how much he needed that blessing and how he wanted to quit smoking and come back to church. He is awesome, and I hope we can help him out a lot. 
I love missionary work. I love being able to bring the Spirit into peoples home and help them feel that peace and that comfort. I know that Jesus Christ lives and that He loves all the people here and all over. He makes it possible for us to return to our Father in Heaven. I know that Heavenly Father loves His children and that this Church is true. I know that Joseph Smith saw them as he prayed and through him the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ was restored. I love the people here. It is amazing how you can meet someone and just love them. I am starting to have that happen more each day I'm here. I love all of you so much!! I pray for you every night (my testimony of the power of prayer has increased so much!!!!) I 'm grateful for you and for all the friends I've made. May the Lord continually bless you day by day! I ask you to continue doing the little things and then "be still, and know that [He] is God" (D&C 101 I think). Thanks for all the support and the birthday packages. For mail and packages and everything its definitely easier to do it through the mission home instead of my po box in pagosa. Love you family!!! I hope everything is going well!!
 
          Elder Scott Lewis Krstyen   

No comments:

Post a Comment