Sunday, February 17, 2013

First Week Out In The Field 2/11/2013


Hello Family!!
How's it going?? Things are going pretty well out here in the field! Thanks for all the happy birthday wishes! I actually haven't got any mail yet because there is a slight delay because of transfers, but I'm sure I'll get it soon enough :). Alright, so monday morning we woke up at 2 am and prepared to head to the airport. We made it there and flew to denver and then to durango. (The plane from denver to durango was tiny so all 26 or 27 of us missionaries filled up the back. There was one man stuck in all the middle of us. I'm sure he loved it haha.)
We met President and Sister Batt at the airport and then went to the mission home in Farmington and stayed at members houses that night. By the way, President and Sister Batt are the coolest and most loving people ever. They are awesome. So then the next day we found out where we were going and who our trainers were. My trainer is Elder Mac D. Soper! He is from Indiana and he has been out about 6 months. He's a pretty awesome missionary. My first area is in Pagosa Springs, Colorado!! It's a beautiful place. It's one of the most north eastern parts of the mission. We cover a lot of the area around there. The people are really nice here. A lot of the people like to say no to us in the nicest ways, so we haven't had to many big rejections yet. Our ward mission leader is brother Greco. He is seriously awesome. (I might say that about a lot of the people here because its true) The first day in Pagosa we were able to meet with a less active man whose wife is another religion. She was really interested so we started to teach he the lessons and we have a return appointment this week with her. We get fed about every night which is always nice. We live in a nice little apartment.
It's been a great week, but let me say that it hasn't been without its struggles or hardships. In fact, this week has been tough. Missionary work is hard, but I find so much peace and strength from the Spirit as I pray and read my scriptures. A good example of how I feel right now about my ability as a missionary is this: The story of Jesus breaking all the bread and feeding the multitude. In one of those stories there is a young lad who tries to help by offering the few loaves of bread he has. The amount he offered surely could in no way feed the multitude but he offered anyway, and through the Lord those few loaves fed the multitude. This is how I feel here. Inadequate, weak, unprepared at times, and sometimes discouraged. But I still give the Lord everything I am, even though it may be little I try to give all that I can and by myself there is no way that is enough. But the Lord takes what little I have to give and multiplies it. It's an intimidating task to teach and lift others and invite them to come unto Christ, but with the Lord supporting me there is no obstacle to great. He has made me so much more than I am. He has helped me to represent him and be more like Him everyday. Let me quote for you a powerful statement, "I am called of God. My authority is above that of kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personally representative of the Lord, Jesus Christ. He is my master and He has chosen me to represent Him, to stand in His place, to say and do what He would say and do if he were personally administering to the very people to whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts, my words are His words, my doctrine is His doctrine. My commision is to do what He wants done, to say what He wants said, and to be a living modern witness in word and deed of His great and marvelous latter-day work. How great is my calling!" -Elder Bruce R. McConkie .   
Being called as a missionary is a great calling. I love it though it is hard. I know that if I am obedient, then I will have the Spirit. I know if I am obedient and the Spirit is with me that I am doing His great work and that He supports me no matter how inadequate I may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment